Marriott's Newport Coast Villas

What is best way to reserve a week?

Oct 22, 2006

We are anxiously awaiting closing on a Platinum NCV. The 2007 week has not been reserved. Since this is our first timeshare, does anyone have advice for us on the best way to reserve it? If we are planning on using our week every year should we even join II? Thanks for any suggestions!

Adrienne G.
Jan 18, 2007

If you want to reserve a week in an especially busy period, then telephone Marriott first thing in the morning 12 months from the week you want to use the timeshare. Popular weeks go very fast, so the earlier you call, the better chance you have of getting what you want.

Since you are "awaiting closing", perhaps the seller can reserve the week in 2007 for you and transfer it to your name at the close. My wife and I did that for 3 other timeshares we purchased.

If you plan to use the week every year at Newport Coast, then it is not necessary to join II.

Tim

Timothy S.
Feb 13, 2007

adrienneg9 wrote:
We are anxiously awaiting closing on a Platinum NCV. The 2007 week has not been reserved. Since this is our first timeshare, does anyone have advice for us on the best way to reserve it? If we are planning on using our week every year should we even join II? Thanks for any suggestions!

We own at Newport Coast and love the resort, the staff, the location. HOWEVER, you will find it next to impossible to get in during the summer time. I always call at 6:AM Pacific time, to get my space, and most times it is completely full at 6:05 AM. Very frustrating.

If you want to use it every year, you don't need to join II, but usually, if you buy from the resort, you get a year free. If you buy on the resale market, you do not. It's certainly up to you. We use ours, so we don't use II for this place unless we have to trade in to get the week we want. It's a balancing act if you really want time during the summer months.

Jo Ann

Jo Ann O. trembath
Feb 17, 2007

I JUST BOUGHT TIMESHARE AT MARRIOTT . IS IT IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE RESERVATION ON BUSY DAYS ? WHEN TYEY WERE SELLING , THEY SAID NO PROBLEM ... ARE WE CHEATED BY COMPANY?

THANKS

Sibel I.
Feb 17, 2007

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "Whey they were selling". If you mean will it be more difficult to book because they are still selling the units are your resort, the answer is no. I'm new to TS as well, but had no problems booking my week at Marriott's OceanWatch during July which is a popular month. Now we did book our trip 1 year out to ensure we got the date we wanted. As long as you can be flexible, I think you will be happy with your decision.

David W.
Feb 18, 2007

It depends on which Marriott. We bought a Platinium week at Newport Coast because we wanted to be able to take our grandchlldren during the summer months. It has been like pulling teeth. When you buy are the resort, they promise you everything.....and never deliver entirely what they say. Other Marriotts are not as bad. Newport is the worse.

My advice....buy a cheaper season and trade in. Doesn't pay to buy the most expensive one at this resort. They have oversold their Platinium season. To say nothing of the fact that with that large a population, they don't even have enough swimming pools to accomodate everyone. I think there's a "60 minutes" story here somewhere.

Jo Ann O. trembath
Feb 18, 2007

I. I. is "Interval International" the trading company that trades your timeshare for you.

Jo Ann O. trembath
Mar 01, 2007

Currently, supply is meeting or exceeding demand and summer reservations haven't been as hard as in the past. As new buildings in the upper section open, I believe it will remain so for at least two more years. After 2009, as the remaining units sell out, it will become more difficult to get a summer interval again.

For people who wish to learn strategies for reserving summer at NCV, google "Timeshare User's Group" for more information.

An example of such a strategy would be to purchase a number of blue weeks at MDS (Palm Springs) for little money and utilize the 13 month rule to make reservations in advance of "normal", and then rent, rent-swap or lock-off and exchange the MDS weeks to cover maintenance fees with up-trades.

Doesn't make sense? See that Google search for more information...

Pat

William M.
Mar 04, 2007

joolvera wrote:
It depends on which Marriott. We bought a Platinium week at Newport Coast because we wanted to be able to take our grandchlldren during the summer months. It has been like pulling teeth. When you buy are the resort, they promise you everything.....and never deliver entirely what they say. Other Marriotts are not as bad. Newport is the worse.

My advice....buy a cheaper season and trade in. Doesn't pay to buy the most expensive one at this resort. They have oversold their Platinium season. To say nothing of the fact that with that large a population, they don't even have enough swimming pools to accomodate everyone. I think there's a "60 minutes" story here somewhere.

We have two weeks at the Platinum season and so far have not had any problems getting the weeks we wanted because we can book 13 months in advance. It appears to be a big advantage for getting the weeks you want. When we went last summer in the beginning of August, we generally did not frequent the main pool, but the one we used was not overly populated at all. Had a great experience. I think the 60 Minutes team will be able to find a more compelling story.

Charles G.
Jan 10, 2008

As William writes above it is an advantage to own 2 or more Marriott timeshares, as we purchased our second just this Christmas and was given a personal travel assistant through Marriott that can book 13 months in advance. This gives us 30 days advance on the regular owners and exchanges. We have been owners since 2002 and were not able reserve at our chosen week for 2008, so we are headed to Cancun. Now that we own 2 Marriott locations I hope this has solved our problems for all future years to come.

Kim M.

Last edited by kimm112 on Jan 10, 2008 06:47 PM

Jan 23, 2008

The main hingepin of the 13 month strategy is to have the seasons of the different resorts abutt or overlap, so a consecutive reservation can be made. For example, a couple of white MDS weeks can be utilized to approach 14 months of advance reservation capability for NCV platinum. One just needs to work out the proper day to call Marriott to do the deal. Also, be aware that locking off affects this strategy and can be utilized to maximize it.

Also, in light of recent developments Marriott is proposing to further differentiate developer and resale weeks, one should be careful to monitor this and alter their strategy accordingly. The governing documents give Marriott a lot of leeway regarding reserving or otherwise utilizing timeshare intervals and they can and will make changes. We see some of those coming within the next year. I think sooner, but I'm a contrarian LOL.

William M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.