Report Abuse

Re: Buying timeshares (even resale)

[Q=kenruth50] [Q=wayneb24] [Q=kenruth50] [Q=jayjay] Before buying a timeshare week, I would research all rental sites on the internet first. The only reason, in my opinion, to buy a week is if you can only vacation in a red hot season such as summer, holidays or winter ski season. The reason I say this is because there are SO many rentals sites on the internet now (such as Redweek) as opposed to just a few years ago, that it doesn't make sense to buy if you can rent for the maintenance fee or a little more. The costs of timesharing have skyrocketed just in the last 6 years ... maintenance fees have risen (some with special assessments attached on top of maintenance fees), exchange company membership, exchanges, guest certificates and other related timeshare costs have risen. If you can rent for the same as owning without the hassles of owning ... then in my opinion that's the better option. It's much easier to BUY a timeshare than to SELL a timeshare.[/Q] jayjay, i agree with you if you can rent the place for close to the maintenance fee, but that is rarely the case with 5 star resorts in high season unless you are looking at a place where there are a tremendous number of timeshares. I bought a timeshare in Antigua at a 5 star resort in Antigua several years ago and have had no difficulty renting it out for many times the maintenance fee.[/Q] I've read most of the messages on the first page and the only person that make sense is jayjay. Do you guys know how to count the cost of what you spend? I personally don't like timeshares unless I'm renting them. Here's the deal. I rented a Marriott Vacation Club resort Villa in Ft Lauderdale this pass summer for 4 nights and it cost me $1,230.00 including all taxes, parking fees..etc. Everything! And that was for a 2 bedroom, 2 full baths Villa; with a full kitchen, two balconies, and nicely furnished. This was the first week of August. A very good time I might add. So it was costing me around $300.00 a day and I was able to use a AAA discount too! I did this online without the requirement of having to sit thru a presentation. When I was walking thru the village one day, a timeshare representative asked me to come in so I did (for 15 minutes and asked questions) and he told me that the cost to buy was $40,000 minimum. And the maintenance fee, well, he wouldn't tell me. Ummmmm! Now do you guy amortize your vacations and figure out the real cost when you buy a timeshare? If it cost me $2150 a week divided by my investment of $40,000, then it will take me 18.61 years just to break even on my initial investment. But not really! Now add in your annual maintenance fees which may be $1,000 or more, then special assessments in the future. And you really don't see that one coming! And if you're financing it, then add the interest costs. (And all this for a vacation??? Huh!!) And guest what? You paid thousands more than you should have. And I bet you can't recoup that from your one week vacation rental? Antigua or otherwise (because it cost more in Antigua)! DO THE MATH FOLKS! And last, timeshares don't appreciate; they depreciate, and a resale is better than buying directly from the builder/owner. Most people who want to sell and do sell, do it at a loss. And most of them want out fast and it's a desperate act. That's why resales sell at a discount! Da! I read all the stories and I always read more bad than good. So another generation of gullible people comes forth each year, and the owners, builders, and developers of timeshares, keeps getting richer and richer. DO THE MATH FOLKS! DO THE MATH! Plan your vacation and enjoy the flexibility of coming and going as you like no matter where. Vacations are not investments, and neither are timeshares! Vacations are for your enjoyment and relaxation. Take the extra money and put it towards a condo, home, retirement, annunities, college funds..etc. Not towards a timeshare![/Q] As I said, I don't disagree with renting. I have done it myself numerous times. The one timeshare I bought at the resort, however, I have already recovered over 1/2 of what I paid for it in rentals (NET) plus I have used it twice myself. This may be unique, but it is fact. The other one I own I bought cheap via the internet, having already rented at the same resort once. Assuming no change in rental rates and maintenance fees (or, more accurately, no change in the relative difference between them, it will take me about 6 years to recover my modest investment. As for Marriott points, I don't know much about them so can't comment.[/Q] I don't know people but do the MATH $40.000 I invest and make easy 10% = $ 4000 $ 4000 for a week somewhere nice!!!! Yes!!