Report Abuse

Transferring or adding adult children to timeshare deeds

[Q=bethp212] I have a deeded floating week at Marriotts Barony Beach. I just read the comments about adding children to the deed. So if we didn't want to put the burden on them having to take over the fees is it best to put the deed in a trust for them? That way they can sell it if not interested in keeping it? Is that easier? My kids are grown and love going to the beach but I really don't want to burden them with all the fees if they don't want it. [/Q] No need to overcomplicate matters. Speak with an attorney for further clarification if you wish, but the easiest thing to do is to leave the deed alone and simply make crystal clear in your will that you wish for your children to inherit ownership of your deeded timeshare [b]IF THEY WANT IT[/b]. That way, they have no obligations until / unless actually taking over lawful ownership of the deeded week upon your passing. That way, you preserve for them the option to disclaim the ownership as an inheritance if their future view or circumstances change and, for whatever reason, they simply do not want any such obligation "in perpetuity". The point is to not FORCE legal, permanent ownership and eternal fee obligations upon your offspring by placing their names on your deed now.