Report Abuse

Re: Re: Diamond Resorts enormously increases the cost of Maintenance/Reserves on their resorts.

[Q=kristines24]...How can I possibly rent for less than my fees? How can I sell for 90% less than I paid? Just soooo unfair. But, at age 72, guess I have to look at getting rid of it as none of the kids want any of my places. I cannot in good conscience stick them with this. I do not think it fair to have to pay someone to take it off my hands on top of it all. Might as well pay the maintenance fee and have a vacation at least. [/Q] The truth is that no resale timeshare buyer gives a hoot what a seller previously paid (or overpaid) for their timeshare -- nor should they. Resale market value simply "is what it is" and is determined by supply and demand and current open (resale) marketplace value. Some timeshares (Westgate comes immediately to mind as a good example) are virtually [b]worthless[/b] in the resale market right after being purchased from the developer, since reservation constraints imposed upon Westgate resales are so absurdly restrictive. In another developer example, Diamond won't take back any DRI weeks which were purchased in the resale market [b]at all[/b] under their "Transitions" deedback program --- not even if you are willing to pay DRI their current extortion-like $1,000 fee for DRI to accept a "deedback". That's just shameful. We have owned and used a handful of (fixed) timeshare weeks for many years now, all of them purchased in the resale market. In 2021, we had to rent out several weeks for considerably less than our maintenance fees, having decided not to travel to places with inadequate Covid-protective practices. Renting for less than maintenance fees is a occasional and unfortunate reality --- even more so during these times of Covid-influenced economic and travel downturn. I am around your age and in a comparable situation (although all of our timeshares were resale purchases, none were bought directly from any developer or chain). Our plan is that we will use and enjoy our weeks for as long as the annual maintenance fees are not prohibitive. We all know that maintenance fees will [b]always and only[/b] go [b]UP[/b]. If and when I see a truly prohibitive financial burden beginning to appear on the horizon, we will then say "No Mas" and sell off the weeks for their resale marketplace value --- [b][i]whatever[/b][/i] the value may be at that time. Fair? Let's be honest --- there is very little (if any) "fairness" to be found in the timeshare world. It all seems to come down to a personal determination of cost vs. perceived "value". Understandably, everyone looks at that evaluation very differently, whether as a renter, owner, buyer or seller. The marketplace ultimately determines its' own dollar figures.