Report Abuse

Re: Looking forward to discussing Timeshares, especially WLR&S

Nancy[/Q] We bought a 4- bedroom unit 7 years ago and sometimes we do not use all weeks and would like to rent but unfortunately the resort doesn't have the facility to do so via the Resort management. What do you think about it? [/Q] As long as they are selling new units they will never have a rental program. Their objective is to sell timeshare units, not rent rooms like a hotel. Lots more money in sales than rentals. Even if they did, most companies that rent take 40-60% of the rent money. Redweek is a good site to place units for rent but you must be realistic on price. Forget what the timeshare salesman told you. You are not going to get big bucks. Unfortunetly Redweek can only show you what people are asking for their units, not what they actually went for or if they were rented at all. A good way to check pricing is to search completed auctions on Ebay. You will find the auctions that ended in a sale were for lots less money than the auctions that never sold. Two bedroom units usually rent for less than $800 and lockoffs for about $200. People asking $1000 or more for a two bedroom never even get a bid. If you have a lockoff you arent going to use, my suggestion to you is to deposit it with Interval and use it in the Flexchange program. This is the program where you search for units 1-59 days out. All rules about like type units (size, time of year, location, week color) are removed. Right now I have an efficiency that is pulling 3 and 4 bedroom units, units in the Carrabiean and Belize and all over the world for that matter. April and May is a slow excahnge time and it is within 59 days so I am seeing the most availability I think I have ever seen before. Obviously high demand times like summer vacation, spring break and Holidays will have less availability 59 days or less out but you never know. Don't be too disapointed with your unit. These are really great units but you have to really know how the system works to really use them to your advantage. If all anyone knew is what the salesman told us... well we wouldn't know everything we should about using our timeshares. Enjoy!