Report Abuse

Re: Timeshare Points vs. Weeks

[Q=mike1536] [Q=lindas523] When you use your points, does that mean you can't rent out your unit? Also, is 2 bedroom listing -one unit or two - 1 bedroom units? Linda[/Q] As I understood it you can use your points to book a unit through Club Sunterra, then, rent it. Booking the unit through II and then renting is a no-no.[/Q] Dave (Reply) We have been Sunterra members for 7 years and have used points for the entire time. When we first bought it was for a deeded 4 bedroom at Greensprings week 50 but we also joined ClubSun for a small fee ($100 or so) and were able to use points immediately. Since then we have increased our points and now have deeded rights to their 13 primary resorts. We like to travel to different resorts and parts of the country at various times of year. Points are excellent for this. Plus, we can exchange points for any resort not Sunterra through II. As for renting, Sunterra promotes this in their presentations. We are currently renting out three weeks that I previously reserved. Sunterra also has a cancellation option without loss of points for any week reserved that doesn't rent or that you can't use personally. But, I do think, as everyone has previously said, costs are high and it will take many years to get any true value back. In the meantime, we enjoy our different vacations. PS: I am not a Sunterra employee and this is not a pitch for them. If you want to buy points, check out the various websites first, don't go directly to Sunterra. Dave M