Report Abuse

Re: BUYING DEVELOPER vs RESALE (typical scenario)

Boy do I agree with the comments posted here. Although I am very happy with the weeks we purchased at a Marriott resort in Hilton Head, SC (because we like the area and the resort, and we like trading into other Marriotts), I bought two weeks pre construction from the developer, and later a third week also from the developer. Now I realize I could have the exact same thing, and have saved a bunch of money by waiting and looking for resale weeks. Yes, I wouldn't have the huge bunch of Marriott points to use (I got about 500,000 points buying the first two weeks), but we haven't yet taken the 'big trip' to use them at Marriott hotels and on airline tickets. So yes, I agree, look for resales at places you like, and hopefully places that will be attractive to others if you want to either exchange your week or rent it out on Redweek! Go to the sales presentation if you think the free dinners or drinks or golf or whatever they're offering are worth a few precious hours of your time, but go knowing that you will not buy. And realize up front that it will be very, very hard to say no thanks and walk away from that excellent saleswoman or salesman!