Report Abuse

Re: BUYING DEVELOPER vs RESALE (typical scenario)

[Q=jayjay] The most expensive timeshare we ever bought was our first from the developer in a brand new area facing a waterpark (very coveted location) of a very popular gold crown resort in Florida, and we paid 10K for it. I thought 10K was outrageous. We were not educated about resales at the time we bought from the developer. A few years later when we were ready to sell I advertised it for 5K (half price as I had read that no way would we get the developer purchase price back on a resale). I advertised it on several internet sites with no interest whatsoever. I kept dropping the price and finally got an offer of $2900 which I took and was glad to get it. We lost 7K on our developer bought timeshare, which is typical on the resale market. We definitely learned a (very expensive) lesson concerning buying developer timeshares. We went on to buy 8 resales (at very good prices) where we liked to go. When we were ready to sell them, we had no problem at all since we bought at such good prices to begin with. A tough way to learn about developer bought timeshares vs resales. A resale timeshare is the exact same product as a developer timeshare and costs 1/4 to 1/3 of the developer cost.[/Q] You seem to know quite a bit about timeshare resales and I want your honest opinion on buying resale. What is the catch or there isn't one? What are the risks involved? You mentioned that you've bought resale 8 times already - could you outline the procedure that you went through. We're looking at the Manhattan Club and there's one posted for $5,500. What do you think are the red flags that we should look for? Does a floating week mean that it will be difficult for us to rent it out should we decide to do so? We live in Canada and we don't think we'd like to go to NYC every year. Thanks in advance for any advice that you can send our way.