Report Abuse

Re: BUYING DEVELOPER vs RESALE (typical scenario)

[Q=sylviaa24]You seem to know quite a bit about timeshare resales and I want your honest opinion on buying resale. What is the catch or there isn't one? What are the risks involved?[/Q] [b]There's no catch. A resale is the exact same product as buying from the developer except for the expensive extra incentives that buying from some developers such as Marriott offerss you such as extra points or whatever incentives they give you to buy from them and not resale.[/b] [Q] You mentioned that you've bought resale 8 times already - could you outline the procedure that you went through.[/Q] [b]First, I perused resale sites such as Redweek for areas where we were looking to buy at a reasonable price. I then contacted the owner by email to let them know I was interested. When we came to an agreement I then contacted www.timesharetransfer.com to handle the closing. The owner then sends a copy of their deed to the closing company and they then handle all of the paperwork. You send a cashiers check for the amount of the timeshare to the closing company to be held in escrow until the transaction is complete.[/b] [Q] We're looking at the Manhattan Club and there's one posted for $5,500. What do you think are the red flags that we should look for?[/Q] [b]I see no red flags. That's a great price for a Manhattan Club week. Just be sure to go through a reputable closing company.[/b] [Q] Does a floating week mean that it will be difficult for us to rent it out should we decide to do so?[/Q] [b]Not necessarily. Choose a week with the resort then advertise it for rent. However, if you know you'll be renting some years you should choose your week far in advance to get the one you want to rent.[/b] [Q] We live in Canada and we don't think we'd like to go to NYC every year. Thanks in advance for any advice that you can send our way.[/Q] [b]That shouldn't be a problem since you can rent the years you don't go. Are you thinking of joining an exchange company such as RCI or II?[/b]