Report Abuse

Re: exchanges within the Marriott resorts

[Q=terry314] dougs94 is correct. All trading of Marriott's must be done through II. Marriott once did have a special internal exchange system within II - so technically Marriotts did trade internally. Marriott was a percentage owner of II at the time. Several years ago (4-5), Marriott sold off their interest in II. They now only offers a one month "Marriott only" trade time after a week is deposited. After that, anyone in II can get that Marriott week. I own an "after market" Marriott in Hawaii. I have the exact same booking and trading rights as all Marriott units bought through Marriott. The only thing I cannot do, is convert my timeshare to Marriott Rewards points. Just before I bought my timeshare, I went to a Marriott preview in Florida. The salesperson tried to feed me a line of BS, by telling me my after market unit would not trade the same as one bought through Marriott. He said he was told this by his supervisors. I sat back and listened because I knew better. When I told him that he could be held liable for fraud if he was not telling the truth, he changed his stance. He now said that it only made sense, but no-one had actually told him that as a fact. Furthermore, I should not rely on it as a reason to buy from him or Marriott. As a matter of fact, I had him on the defensive and he tried to get me out ASAP. A total about face! Buy an after market timeshare in a good location with reasonable fees and you'll be happy. Be careful, as some ski resorts have high annual fees due to the high abuse each unit takes. Also, try the new Redweek exchange. I deposited a CO week there and received 1800 points. Good Luck[/Q] Thanks for the perfect reply. It makes complete sense and fits well with the experience my sis and I had two years ago. We were both misled, but at least we weren't imagining things that were not planted by agents.