Report Abuse

Re: I bought timeshares from an auction.

[Q=angelm22] I wrote the resort to give me details, use week, unit number, etc. & requested for Declaration or their terms and conditions, etc. They did not respond to me. I went abroad to follow-up what I thought was a legitimate transaction and i encountered a 4-1-9 Nigerian scam. We lost our livelihood. This resort then billed me for $3,600 for maintenance fees. I offered to give them my timeshares that I paid cash of $15,000, just take it! They responded, they sent me to collections. This billing has grown to $59,000+ according to collections agent. they put a lien on our house. Anyone, can you please advise me what to do. Yes, I've hired attorneys, case is still pending.[/Q] ===== Are you saying that the timeshare you bought was overseas and you went abroad to see it when the resort didn't reply to your communications? Since they are charging you maintenance fees, I gather they agree that it is indeed yours. So what was the scam, exactly? Was it actually in Nigeria or just that style scam? Were there back maintenance fees owed which the former owner dumped on you? Was the resort a total mess? Were you unaware that timeshares normally do have maintenance fees or were these totally unregulated and extravagant? And you actually paid $15,000 for a timeshare at auction, sight unseen? (A "resale"?) I'm not sure whether you mean that you lost your livlihood because of this purchase or that both problems just happened to coincide, putting you in a bind. This whole situation is hard to fathom. MD