Report Abuse

Re: Be VERY WARY of who you are renting from!

[Q=jackm129] [Q=marty8084] [Q=jackm129] Timeshare transactions especially over the internet require a high level of trust. I recently rented a week at Marriot Newport Coast that I found on Redweek. I paid $2400 in advance to Theodore Tu. When I arrived at the resort, I was told at check-in that my family would be sharing our condo with another family that was already checked in... they had also been rented the the very SAME condo that week by Mr. Tu. After much confusion, we ended up having to move into 2 separate rooms for portions of the week-- ultimately staying in poor rooms which were not in use for a VERY GOOD reason-- namely, they were very poorly located (the nearest room next to the "Tot-Lot"). Mr. Tu said he would refund 50% of the rental price to make up for the poor accomodations and for the fact that he had assured us of a very different room (upper floor/ocean view). When I returned home, I contacted him and he basically blew me off regarding the refund. This is my first timeshare rental experience. My advice is: 1) Get it in writing. 2) Be extremely cautious of whom you are renting from. Jack Madowitz, M.D. San Diego, CA.[/Q] Hi Jack, After checking into this a little more, please help me to understand why the posting you contacted this owner for is available for the dates of: Sep 1, 2007 - Sep 8, 2007. This is the only posting this owner has for Marriott's Newport Coast Villas. Did you go earlier then you were suppose to? Am I missing something here? When did you use this rental? Thanks, Marty[/Q] Marty, I have no idea why you are finding the dates to be Sep 1 - Sep 8. The reservation was made through Redweek for July 8-15 2007. The Redweek listing was R304159. I have numerous emails from Jim 1432,aka Steve, aka Theodore Tu confirming these dates(which I would be happy to forward to you). In addition the Marriot Newport Coast Villas reservation #88514909 also confirms these dates (again I would be happy to forward these to you). Finally, I work as a cardiologist. I take very little time off partly due to the fact that I need to get other cardiologists to cover my practice while I am gone. The idea that I along with my family somehow may have gotten confused and showed up 2 months early for our vacation seems more than a little unlikey.[/Q] Hi Jack, I apologize, Jack. I think that once this week was rented that possibly the owner changed the dates to September which he has the ability to do. The dates on this posting is as follows: Marriott's Newport Coast Villas Rental Posting (R304159) Marriott's Newport Coast Villas, Newport Coast, California, United States, North America This posting is not active. Price: $2,000 ($286 per night) Length of Stay: 7 nights Available: Sep 1, 2007 - Sep 8, 2007 Owner: steve . (jim1432) I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a mix up of some kind. Thank you, Marty