Report Abuse

August 07 update

Interiors of first floor rooms are different from pictures, since Hurricane Ivan required water damages to be replaced. When accepting an exchange, the lockout is called a studio, which has a king bed, small sofa, small table with two chairs, dorm size refrigerator, NO stove top, microwave, toaster coffeemaker and dishware. It has a large bathroom, miniscule closet and entertainment center. The one bedroom unit is truly a one bedroom apartment with large kitchen, dining area and king bedded bedroom with bath that has two entry doors. The restaurant on site has good food. I may not fit the profile of timeshare vacationers, because the restaurant prices were too high for my budget. The bright spot (in Nov 2006) was the daily Happy Hour with about seven 2 for 1 drink specials. If you recover from the prices of hard liquor in the package stores, this Happy Hour is very pocket friendly! Construction of the Condotel buildings has begun with the building closest to the water underway. When I visited on Sunday, August 5th there were no blocks being laid, but I understand it is a quiet process. There are some palm trees nicely disguising the work site as of this writing. The hot tubs were replaced after Hurricane Ivan and are much nicer than the one shown in the photo. They are under a kind of cabana. Construction of the proposed lagoon pool has not begun as of August 07. There's a nice paperback book exchange off of the lobby, courtesy of a great activities director. She has many offerings for low key afternoon activities on site as well as a kid's club. Internet accress is available in the units, otherwise it is...an outrageous $3.00 per 15 minutes and the clock keeps running until you report to the desk to log you out. Bicycles are for rent at $10 per 24 hours. There has been a grocery shuttle if you don't want to rent a car for the whole week. New road construction has added about a mile for any taxi rides...and they are EXPENSIVE!!! We are entering our third year as owners at the Grand Caymanian. We are also owners at Plantation Village. We are very happy with our decisions to buy on this island. It is VERY low key compared to Nassau and the Bahamas. We lost two seasons at Plantation Village and one at the Grand Caymanian due to Hurricane Ivan. Hurricane Dean caused no structural damage at either resort. They were very serious about renovating with future hurricanes in mind!