Report Abuse

Re: Recent Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta purchase at resort ? Anybody have some good/bad things to say about Mayan Palaces ??

[Q=lisag275] [Q=kipr] [Q=lisag275] I'm so relieved to read the positive reviews of the Mayan Palace. My husband and I became members while on our honeymoon in June, and are now questioning whether or not we made a good decision! We actually purchased "someone else's" contract (apparantly the other couple was upgrading), which allowed us to waive the mandatory maintenence fees for the first 5 years. So we don't pay anything if we don't use our weeks. Anyway, we'd like to try to make some of our money back by renting out some of our weeks during the next few years, but are perplexed on how to go about doing this. The Mayan Palace has a list of 5 or 6 rental companies that they reccommend-has anyone used any of these companies to rent out their weeks? If so, do you have any positive/negative feedback on your experience and ability to get rid of your weeks? If you haven't used the reccommended companies, what are some ways that you have been successful in renting out your weeks? I'd appreciate any advice-we're new to the timeshare world! Thanks![/Q] We are also members of the Mayan Palace and actually the Grand Mayan now. We are just beginning to get serious about renting b/c I believe if we sell, we will get, perhaps, half of what we paid. So, what I'm reading and hearing is that if you want to rent, you should not be putting up any upfront fees....perhaps someone who is more experienced with this can explain further or help out. To be honest I did try to go with a 'service' and it did nothing, so I'm really not sure how to get this done. I don't want inflated pricing for the rental, I basically just want to cover the maint. fee if I don't use the week. I am not sure if there is a glut of rental weeks at the Grand Mayan...again, perhaps someone else could offer some input/advice...good luck and enjoy, kipr....[/Q] What is the name of the rental "service" you used, that you said did nothing for you?[/Q] =========== I'd suggest trying to rent via RedWeek.com, of course, but www.myresortnetwork.com is another good one. Look at what is advertised and be sure you are comparing apples to apples. What would you pay a mere hotel for your unit (if it existed)? Start high enough that you can go down a bit if need be. Everybody wants to feel they got a bargain! MD