Report Abuse

Re: Searching with RCI Points

[Q=ken1193] Re: >> ...an RCI rep told me (famous last words...) that you can do a request (>10 mos) only for a weeks resort. This is regardless of whether or not you deposited a weeks resort for points. << ====================================== Mike (and anyone else interested in this topic): I think I've finally gotten to the bottom of this matter and, as usual, I believe the RCI rep answer to have been either incomplete and / or just flat out wrong. After a whole lot of digging and research (and no useful or correct input or information at ANY point from RCI itself), this is what I now believe to be accurate and correct: 1. RCI Points can search for "weeks" resorts up to 2 years out. 2. RCI Points can search for RCI "points resorts" 10 months out. However, reserving at the home points resort at which the members' RCI points are actually based must occur 13 months out. 3. It doesn't matter one bit whether the RCI "points" one is using to search with are from the home "points" resort, or from a "week" converted to RCI "points for deposit". It apparently just plain doesn't matter at all. The determining factor for the search time window with RCI is, in short summary, apparently completely unrelated to what you're searching WITH (except that you obviously need enough points, currently or by also borrowing into next year's allocation, to "pay" for that reservation which you are seeking). What matters for the "search time window" is evidently ONLY what you're searching FOR (i.e., whether you're looking to reserve at a "points" resort or at a "weeks" resort). It's no wonder that it takes some time and considerable effort to decipher and figure out these RCI points / weeks search details, particularly when the RCI phone reps are themselves so consistently ill informed regarding their own employing company's policies. That they are so very consistently wrong in their "answers and helpful information" is a bit scary.[/Q] ========== Ken, Well stated, you’ve explained them very clearly; much better than I’ve been able to do. There are also two other reservation periods that people should be aware of. a) Reserve a vacation at your home resort either during a different week or in a different unit from the one you own. The reservation must be for seven nights. (approximately 11-12 months prior to check-in). b) Reserve a unit at one of your home resort's affiliate properties. Choose any size unit and any length of stay (approximately 10-11 months prior to check-in). You can still reserve a weeks resort within 45 days prior to check-in for 7500 points, though I don’t think is well advertised.