Report Abuse

Exchange Companies

In my own observations, although II reps are usually much more knowledgeable than RCI reps, the experience level of the individual phone rep always makes a world of difference, regardless of the exchange company involved. Some phone reps seem unwilling to ever acknowledge that they "just plain don't know" something, while others seem to feel free to offer opinions which are completely unencumbered by any actual knowledge. It's a crap shoot. These days, the whole exchange picture is very dynamic and changing quite rapidly anyhow. Personally, I fully expect the availability of quality exchanges to continue (it's already well under way) to diminish steadily with BOTH RCI and II, as each of these companies branches out into conducting their own direct rentals. RCI has already bought into SnapTravel and LeisureLink, for no other purpose than offering direct rentals (which is much more profitable for them than just collecting piddling exchange fees). And, of course, any and all weeks "held aside" by any exchange company to be offered for direct rental (and obviously, only the more desirable weeks and places get "put aside" for direct rental) then are NOT ever available to members as "exchange" inventory. In summary, these days it certainly seems best to buy and own ONLY that which you would either use, as is, or perhaps to rent out yourself on occasion. Buying or owning primarily to "exchange" is increasingly becoming just a fool's errand, thanks in large measure to the ever changing practices of the major exchange companies, RCI being both the biggest and (in my opinion) by far the worst offender. II is certainly not in line for sainthood either, they are just not as big or as bad....