Report Abuse

Responsibility and accountability...

barbaraf correctly observes: Re: >> If damage should happen during my confirmed week, I will be financially responsible for any and all damages even though I will not be occupying the unit.<< =============================================== Legally, that is actually (and has ALWAYS been) exactly the case at virtually ANY resort anywhere... While an owner can attempt to establish contractual responsibility for damages by a renter through a rental agreement, the resorts' (legally correct) viewpoint is that the actual owner is always ultimately responsible for whatever damages are sustained during the owners reserved week. The only exception is when the resort has conducted a rental on the owner's behalf, in which case the resort assumes full responsibility for thje renter. If a credit card deposit left with a resort by a renter (i.e., in a private rental by owner, not a resort-direct rental) doesn't cover the cost of incurred damage repairs, rest assured that ANY and EVERY resort will ALWAYS come straight after the owner (...not the renter) for the cost difference. It then becomes the owners' responsibility to go after the renter to recover any "cost differences". Don't shoot the messenger; that's just how it is...