Report Abuse

Renting out RCI or II Exchanges is prohibited --- period.

[Q=ken1193] Unfortunately, you were given completely incorrect information by this (unidentified) "timeshare company" in the cited "items 1, 2 and 3" above. [/Q] It was not incorrect and it was addressed in the paragraph preceeding 1, 2 and 3. It IS a NO, NO to rent out an exchanged week obtained via RCI or II. The (unidentified) "timeshare company" confirmed it with their In house II section. That important tidbit was indeed digested and understood. [Q=ken1193] The II and RCI terms and conditions of service are crystal clear and in writing on the issue of renting out weeks obtained via exchange --- and it has simply always been prohibited. Resorts have no say in the exchange company rules and /or terms and conditions of membership --- none at all. [/Q] Understood Ken, it is a risk that "I" would take if "I" were to rent/gift out my II exchanged week. No need to beat me over the head with the point. I definately understood the important aspect of what you were stating. :-) [Q=ken1193] If II or RCI discover that a week obtained from them via exchange is later rented out by one of their members, RCI and/or II can (and will) unilaterally cancel the membership AND cancel the reservation, leaving the member without an exchange company membership and leaving the would-be "renter" with no place to stay. [/Q] Yes, yes. Again, that's a risk that affects ME and MY MEMBERSHIP with the exchange company. Now, if the hypothetical would-be "renter" was indeed inconvenienced by my bad luck (getting caught in such a practise by the exchange company), they would most definately receive their hypothetical refund of all monies paid, assuming it wasn't gifted. [Q=ken1193] "Intent" and "resort opinion" and "future practices" are all completely irrelevant and have absolutely nothing to do with this issue.[/Q] I absolutely realize that Ken. I'm not so ignorant as to think that I am protected by some umbrella of safety because the Timeshare company themself said, "We don't mind if you do it." [Q=ken1193] Yes, some people do it anyhow -- and some "get away with it", but the risks of violation of terms of membership (as specifically identified above) are both very clear and very real. [/Q] Again, fully understood Ken. Although some days I might look it, I can assure you, I am not the walking dead. ;-) Of note, it is starting to become VERY apparent to me that more than SOME "get away with it". It was indeed how "I" first went to visit said resort. I was offered someones exchanged week for slightly below, market value price. [Q=ken1193] Don't shoot the messenger; I'm merely informing you of the long standing, crystal clear, written, terms and conditions of both of these two exchange companies. [/Q] Naw, I'd never shoot the messenger. I'd even toss them a shank of meat and a tankard of ale for their return journey. [Q=ken1193] You can rent a week which you actually OWN (i.e., you pay the maintenance fees, you're the deeded owner) however you may see fit, at any price you can command. BUT--- you CAN'T rent out to someone else ANY week which you DON'T actually own, but have instead merely acquired from either RCI or II via the deposit / exchange process. Period. No exceptions, no exemptions, no "grey area". [/Q] Ok Ken, quit talking with your mouth full. Enjoy that shank and ale, you've a long journey ahead of you. ;) IOW I FULLY comprehended it the first time around. It is a risk that "I" would be taking, IF I were to rent/gift out my "exchanged" week. [Q=ken1193] You can get a guest certificate in someone else's name from the exchange company, but there can be no actual compensation between the parties involved. I didn't write the rules --- but I HAVE certainly read and understood them quite clearly in the course of my 25 years of timeshare ownership... It's your decision to make ---and your risk to take. Good luck.[/Q] Aye, we need all the luck we can get these days huh? Although the Timeshare place itself said 'it's not that big of a deal to us." Yes, they are not in control of RCI or II and again, I most definately realize that. Now, if they (The Timeshare company) indeed does not care one way or another, that means that the threat you mentioned earlier, that I could possibly loose the actual deed to my Timeshare by engaging in such practices, isn't such a threat/concern now is it? OF NOTE: I'm am still VERY much on the fence about the idea. I don't like dancing around in ANY grey area. It's beyond my comfort zone. Enjoy the meat and ale Ken, after 25 years of playing messenger, you've earned it!