Report Abuse

Re: Proper Way to Pay for a Rental and not get Scammed

[Q=lorit80] By "rep" I am referring to is the In-house sales person that sold me the Timeshare package. I checked with the actual Timeshare company, since I don't have II on my speed dial. :-) I spoke with the person that handles booking and expressed my concerns with this revelation. She thought it was not true, but opted to go and make sure before advising me; she was rather curious herself. She walked to their In-house II section and confirmed that what you stated was indeed true, you're not supposed to rent out a week obtained via the RCI or II exchange program. However, there is a grey area, a fine line if you will. 1) As long as that was not the intent when the week was secured via the exchange program .... 2) Most importantly, as long as the place itself where you own the Timeshare does not have a problem with it .... 3) As long as you do not attempt to continue to profit by renting out exchanged weeks .... then allowing another to use my week, whether I rent it for a nominal fee, rent it for the going rate or gift it to a friend in need of a vacation, it is NOT a problem for another name to use my exchanged week. The key is with numbers 2 and 3 listed above, because obviously, this world is riddle with liars and people who love to walk across the fine lines set before them. No I did not buy this Timeshare with the intent to profit from it. My week is not even booked for the most desirable times and as a matter of fact, I booked it from a Sunday to a Sunday, because I prefer to go against the grain of traffic. ;-) I can't make it this year and that is that. It was another option (renting it out) as opposed to throwing it back into the kitty and attempting to secure another week via II. I am already looking at another week available to me this coming calendar year so it's obvious that I don't need it and as long as it's not a continued (read trackable) practice, it's OK by them, the place where I own that Timeshare. Thanks very much for enlightening me though Ken.[/Q] [b]I'd like to know where the 'grey area' you refer to concerning rentals of RCI and II exchanges came from .... there's no such 'grey area'. Please read the two Tug threads concerning exchangers renting their exchanges that I posted above. The reason RCI and II do not permit rentals of exchanges is because ALL the most popular exchanges would be snapped up in a NY minute and rented for profit. This rule is to protect their membership.[/b]