Report Abuse

Re: What happens if you just stop PAYING?

[Q=ken1193] I regarded (and I still regard) that input as merely that of an attorney (...my own assumption) addressing the consequences and aftermath of unpaid debt, yet making clear that (underlying debt responsibility notwithstanding) noone has to tolerate continuous pestering by collection entities under applicable provisions of federal law. Putting an end to harassing collection calls certainly does not in any way alter the existence or validity of the debt or somehow magically make it disappear --- and I don't believe that Carvana was or is actually suggesting otherwise at all. Perhaps Carvana will choose to weigh in and speak for himself regarding his intent, but that's how I interpreted the input.[/Q] [b]Ken, okay, let's take your owned timeshares as an example (I believe you own several weeks). What if owners just quit paying maintenance fees due to carvana's advice (except you and other owners that paid their fees). Where would that leave you? ..... it would leave you and other responsible owners holding the bag via higher maintenance fees. I don't think you'd like to be put in that situation. I was once told by a resort office manager where I owned that foreclorsures and deadbeats were the main reason for higher yearly maintenance fees (in some cases, much higher). If owners paid their fees, then there would be no need for 'harrassing phone calls' from bill collection agencies. That's what they get paid to do. We once owned 9 timeshare weeks .... I would never have dreamed of not fulfilling my maintenance fee obligations when I signed on that dotted line (sometimes along with special assessments) but that's just the way I am. I would not dream of holding other owners responsible for MY unpaid debts. As a matter of fact, I had put away money each and every month in order to have my maintenance fee obligations saved by January, and if I had neglected to pay them (for whatever reason) then I would have expected foreclosure and my credit ruined (that's the price one pays for not fulfilling their debt obligations). I wouldn't have tried to find a way to get out of it. But for some reason many people think that just because it's a timeshare maintenance fee debt that they are not obligated to pay it. Whatever happened to personal responsibity/integrity in this country; first, people buying houses they couldn't afford with absolutely no down payment due to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that started the destruction of our economy, then bank and business bankruptcies followed by bailouts from our government, along with timeshare owners wanting a way out of paying maintenance fees that they owe.[/b]