Report Abuse

Re: What happens if you just stop PAYING?

Ken, please read in bold what carvana said below and what she is telling joseph in no uncertain terms to do ..... this is the real world, not a make believe world. The resort calls the shots, not the person who wants to unload their responsibilities and debts. Try this with any loan company, financial institution, or credit card company and see how fast they will come after you with garnishiment of wages or any other means of getting their money. carvana said: [i]"I suggest you send a certified letter to the resort telling them your circumstances. If your failure to pay is the result of the loss of a job, a reduction in pay, the death of a spouse, a divorce, or any valid reason tell them. [b]Tell them you DO NOT PLAN to pay the past due or future maintenance fees[/b] and that you are willing to settle the matter by giving them a quit claim deed in lieu of a foreclosure. You might even offer to pay them a sum to be negotiated between you if they agree to end the matter with a deed back. You send this by certified mail - a phone call is a waste of time unless you are buying time and plan to pay the maintenance fees in the future - [b]and you make it clear in your letter that a deed back is all you are willing to do[/b]. It would be helpful if this letter is signed by your attorney as that will usually get a quicker response. There is a high probability the resort will sooner or later agree to the deed back. The worse thing that can happen is a foreclosure which will adversely impact your credit report and remain on there for 10 years as a legal action against you. The foreclosure is not in the financial best interest of the resort but they may refuse a deed back and follow through with the foresclosure as a business practice to discourage defaults."[/i]