Report Abuse

Re: What happens if you just stop PAYING?

I can't sell, I can't sell, I can't give it away. Why is it developers can sell these at ten times what they resell for and owners can't give them away afterwards? The people who buy, I know for a fact that they aren't all neophytes who got fleeced by an evil empire who could sell ice to Eskimos. You bought something, you overpaid, and now you want out....at any cost. So what you paid big bucks for you can't sell? Can't give away? So the last person to buy a timeshare was you? Simply put, if you bought a timeshare, you can sell a timeshare. You owned it for 22 years without problems, can't be that bad that you have to ram it down someone's throat. I'm sure you have many fond memories within those 22 years. At what point did you realize that it wasn't going to sell at $17,000 by the resort? 6 months? 1 year? 3 years? This would be like asking my car dealer to sell my '94 Sunfire for $12,000 that I bring to him every month for $400 of repairs and maintenance. "Yeah, we got it for sale, but so far no takers." There's a lot of wiggle room between $17,000 and defaulting on payments. As I say, there is a lot of emotions involved in giving back a timeshare...anger resentment etc., "Keep the damn thing, I don't want, I don't care about my credit." If it is your absolute final decision to give it back, I would go through steps listed. I'm always shocked at stories like the $2500 fee you got assessed. My condo has budgets for things like these. Life expectancy of everything from roofs to lawn chairs. They even factor in expected foreclosures, the cost of them, and the resulting loss of revenue.