Report Abuse

Re: Rent vs. Resale

Frank, I sold our first timeshare back in 1987 this way. I have many times on Redweek and Tug and other sites talked of this and recommended it to others asking! We had two friends last five years ask me about it and sold,one first year and second friend took two years to sell it. What you do is run your ad to rent with option to buy. Don't play games like some of these greedy owners and try jacking your price to cover your rental fee either! You as a owner wanting to sell need to remember this is a no lose for you and renter. The worse that can happen to you is you rent for the year without selling it. Buyer gets to try out the resort they have interest in before going into debt. After talking to someone wanting to rent and if buying comes up then write up your contract with all the numbers listed so there is no misunderstanding later when the buyer starts trying to make better deal. When we sold our renter priced out our unit and it was $9500 plus closing cost. They rented our unit that slept thirteen people for $1200. Selling price was $4500 minus $1200 plus closing cost and they couldn't wait to buy our unit. The biggest problem is if you really want to sell over renting then remember this only works once a year so try and pick someone serious about wanting into your resort! Also don't rent for cheap price just to get someone in because many will act like they have interest to buy and get cheap rental fee. Charge what ever the going rate is so if they don't buy you did cover your expenses for the year. We deducted the full rental on our sale but with high maintance fee's you may want to deduct rental minus fee or if you really want out then give full credit or half credit to buyer. We told our renter and our friends did same thing and that was to go enjoy vacation and go to presentation and see resort and hear offers and pricing and grab the freebies and do not buy until you take some time to think about it. This way your not pressured and if you really like the resort then we will sell to you within two weeks of stay. Now is worse time in nineteen years of timesharing to sell from what I have been told and read from realtors in timeshare sales. Make your pricing work for the times we are going through if you want to sell! PHILL12