Report Abuse

Re: What to do with inherited timeshare points ???

[Q=jayjay] [Q=thomash246] I thank you all (especially Darlene) for the kindness and words of wisdom. This has been a sad and awkward time for us. My brother lives in the same state where our father had lived prior to his passing away, and he is in a better position than I to deal with a lawyer and the ensuing estate issues. Although I live 1200 miles away, I am merely trying to help him out wherever I can. I will pass along the opinions expressed here at Redweek to my brother and sister. We are not necessarily in a major hurry to unload a bunch of timeshares points just yet. I suppose I ought to figure ought how to rent them here on Redweek. Thanks,[/Q] [b]I don't know how much you and your siblings like to travel, but you might consider dividing the points and keeping them for future vacations. The only problem I see in this scenario is how to divide the points? Are they all with one point system (ie; Marriott, Starwood, Hilton etc), are they all RCI points or are they a mixture of different point systems? [/b] [Q=thomash246] Thanks for the advice. Although my siblings and I all like to travel, we already own many timeshares individually, and are not in a position to use more. I personally own 5 weeks, and I get 5 weeks of vacation each year. I am still at leat 12 years away from retirement. My brother has even more timeshare weeks and fewer weeks of vacation. The potential problem of how to divide the points is not considered a problem, as none of us really want them. In answer to your question, 8 of the timeshares are with Wyndham, and 3 are with Diamond Resorts. The point value systems from each company appear to be as different as yen and euros. [/Q] [b] The best way to rent if you own points is to reserve a highly sought after week (any holiday week) in a highly sought after location then post that week for rent on internet listing sites such as Redweek. However, be aware that the travel industry is down as a whole due to the economy, so you might consider this wnen you list your rental price. Try comparing rentals with other owners ads and list yours lower. [/b] [Q=thomash246] That does sound like a good idea. I think I need to do some research to find statistically desirable weeks and locations, which will draw alot of potential renters. We are probably too late to get a head start on 2009, but perhaps we can minimize our losses in subsequent years, or perhaps break even far into the future. Maybe I'm being optimisitic here. [/Q] [b] Whatever you decide to do I wish you well and am sorry to hear of your father's passing. He must have loved to travel.[/b] [Q=thomash246] Thanks for your kind words. Yes, my father did love to travel, about as much as he liked to hike in the Grand Canyon. . . year after year. [/Q] [/Q]