Report Abuse

Re: I worked at a timeshare SCAM....I want to tell you about it.

[Q=adahiscout] I'm curious about you fellows who speak of having sold so many timeshares--9 here, 11 there! How did you happen to accumulate so many which you seem not to want? MD[/Q] [b]My husband retired from AT&T in May 2000. We then took a trip to Orlando and got caught up in a timeshare presentation at Orange Lake. We were taken by the sales pitch hook, line and sinker and bought from the developer. When we finally got back home and I was able to get on the internet to research timeshares, I came across Timeshare Users Group and the mantra was never to buy from the devloper but to buy resale to save tons of money, however it was too late to rescind our developer purchase. As we had planned to travel a lot after retirement we started looking at resales in areas we like to go (mainly south coastal areas and mountains) thus the 9 timeshare purchases. We owned at Sapphire Valley NC, Lake Lure NC, Helen GA and Kinston Manor at Foxwood in SC (all in the NC GA SC mountains). We also owned oceanfront at Atlantic Terrace in Daytona Beach FL - Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, Panama City Beach FL - The Summit, Panama City Beach Florida - Hotel D' L Eau Vive, New Orleans LA, plus the developer bought one at Orange Lake. We had traveled for five years (every other month) via our timeshares and exchanges and saw many beautiful areas of this great country until we found the place that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives and that was in the mountains of NC near the Smokies. We put our home on the waterway on the market and began selling all our timeshares. I was successful in selling all the resales for what we bought for them (very reasonable prices) but the developer one we lost money on (typical). We finally sold our home and all of our timeshares and had a cabin built in the mountains of NC. Now we don't care to go on week long vacations, we prefer to take 2-3 day get-a-ways around this area. I'm glad we sold when we did because that was before postcard companies, $1.00 timeshares on Ebay and the economic downturn. I doubt I could give them away now ..... we were lucky that the timing was right.[/b]