Report Abuse

Re: Just wanting an honest legit company to sell/rent your timeshare?

Sorry, we did not sell through redweek. As I said, we bought from listings on redweek. There are no selling commissions that go to marriott, it is a regular real estate transaction. Redweek simply listed it, then I emailed the owner, and we set a price, and went into escrow. Marriott does have the right of first refusal, saying they could buy at that price instead of the buyer. my guess is they almost never exercise it. With nothing risked, the process of escrow guarantees the deal, best I can tell. I think we bought the properties relatively quickly after they were listed, because the prices where good. For some history, we were buying some weeks directly from the Marriott Maui Lahania villas using a 1031 exchange (at full price), but then i found a listing on redweek that was 30% lower, so we bought that also. you do give up the "bonus points" they give you. Then marriott opened the new napili villas (adjacent to the lahaina villas and the exact same rooms), and they had the gall to raise the price above the lahaina rooms. Then we found a great unit on redweek at the (now older) lahaina villas that was now 40% lower than the new napilli, but essentially the same thing. Escrow closed smoothly, though it takes months to get your papers form the maui recorders. so to make a long story shorter - we were buying (fixed) weeks at an incredible place for 25-40% less than the retail price. like i said, you miss out on some points, so i can't comment on that. And not sure i said here that i personally think buying good fixed weeks is better than playing roulette with floating weeks. but i have to say i don't know how the floating week game really works.