Report Abuse

Re: What are the costs to maintain a timeshare

[Q=michaelk397] We understood all the pluses and minus before we bought a timeshare on resale. Even though we bought one, for most people, I think it would be better to rent. Remember, it is all about vacation value; it is certainly not an investment. Here was my logic for buying versus renting; so far, my logic is working out for me. - We bought a group of resorts that we really like and we use twice a year. We never plan on trading out; we rent when we go elsewhere. - We like to take friends and family with us; we have no surprises and they love the experience. - We have a lot of nice amenities not available to renters at these resorts - There are no maintenance fees unless we use - no big deal since we use, but nice to know. - Under these conditions, we pay off our investment rather quickly - and with consistently great vacations and no hassle. The key to me is to be realistic with your values and true costs. Mike[/Q] [b]You performed your homework well ..... you bought where you want to go every year and on the resale market. It would be nice if all resorts would have the same condition that if you don't use your week then you don't pay maintenance fees for that year .... kudos to you for being a informed consumer .... everyone should follow your example.[/b]