Report Abuse

Re: What are the costs to maintain a timeshare

I am sure there are some good deals out there to be had in timeshare purchases. I suppose the options are almost endless, if your interests/flexibilities are endless. We have a very narrow window, that being...#1 we are beach people. We do not ski, golf, play tennis, or do hiking or mountain climbing. #2, we have two kids, one school age and one soon to be, which limits us to the platinum season for the beaches (summer vacation and winter break). #3 neither I nor my husband have any interest in travelling out of the country, especially at this time in our lives with two young children. #4, we spent many years working for high end hotel companies, which makes us somewhat snobbish, I suppose you could say, about where we stay. We now hate staying in hotels for the most part, and would be most unhappy with an old, not very well maintained timeshare, and we cringe if we walk into a place that is not clean. For us, this really narrows the range of choices and options. I doubt we could own a timeshare at the type of place and location we would want to own, in the season we would need to own, for less than we can get renting. Everyone is different, you have to work within your own parameters, whatever they may be.