Report Abuse

Re: Diamond Resorts reduces owner benefits again!

Guys, I think you are sidestepping the big issue, that is that DRI (with I hear 5% ownership) controls the resort we own. Yes - I don't like the high cost of annual maintenance fees compared to Mariott, Sheraton and Westin (where I also stay). Yes - I don't like it that DRI will no longer tell me which room I've been asigned at time of booking comfirmation. A fundamental problem with most timeshare owners is that they don't understand corporate America. The big issue in my opinion is that the management company, DRI controls the Board of Directors by loading it with their own employees. Boards have a lot of legal power. I care a lot more about the Board potentially selling the property to another "off shoot" company at some reduced value. It is real easy to create another independent company, owned by the same individuals. The most important task for us owners is to band together and regain control of the Board. For sure, something is going to happen in the next few years when by contract there is no more management company on-site sales allowed, either very good or very bad for us, the owners. For sure, DRI is not going to cease trying to make all the profit they can. The choice on control is ours. We either band together, or complain until blue in the face. I think we need to hand out slips of paper to other owners every time we go to the resort urging others to do the same and give their names and e-mail addresses to this site so we can collectively decide who we want to be on the Board at election time. Without control of the Board, everything else is trivial.