Report Abuse

Re: raintree vacation club

I have been an owner since my purchase with Westin Club Regina in 3/97. Over the past 12 years I have paid in over $44,000 for 2 shares of whatever this is now. My maintenance went from $660ish to over $1500 and now they want to double this amount with a special or enhanced maintenance fee. The club was originally an entity that filed with the SEC but as of 2005 they went "private equity" with no advance notice or arena of protest from members. Just a silent change with glossy news about how wonderful this is for members. When I bought I was told I would own shares available at the 3 Mexican resorts and additional resorts built. When all was said and done it appeared I would have to buy another contract or upgrade (over $20,000 more) to use all properties. I decided not to throw any more of my money away and kept my original sales scheme. I am a bright person but don't understand what it is I own. If I sell this to someone I'm not sure what I'm selling and I have an ethical question about this. If I assume they could be in trouble do I sell and not mention this to buyers? I think not. They are telling us we are now "beneficial owners" so it is our responsibility to fix up the properties. If you look at past SEC filings the "beneficial owners" technically owned nothing. "0" as was shown on filings. Now that they need money we are suddenly the owners. They say the special assessment is in our contracts but it is no more there than a requirement to pay our neighbors electricity. They can make anything out of the wording of these vague contracts. Also - please be aware - you can rent space online at the club for less than yearly maintenance - right now. It is a struggle getting reservations and it appears the club competes for usage time with members - and the members seem to lose. Run- don't walk from this company.