Report Abuse

Between a rock and a hard place...

[Q=josephb172] I'LL answer! The reason is: because it is nearly impossible to sell a timeshare yourself. Timeshares are sold originally with high pressure, to people on vacation in a relatively exotic place, in a luxurious setting, and they are seduced with fancy sales pitches, promises, donuts, whatever. The pressure is incredible. A simple "no" does not stop the saleperson at ALL. And once it's sold, the obligations NEVER stop for the poor buyer. I've personally tried to sell my timeshare several times (Sheraton's Vistana Resort, a nice enough place), and NO ONE has shown any interest except people who want to sell my TS for a fee, in advance. Now, I get phone calls and postcards several times a week promising me "relief" from the expense of owning a timeshare I no longer want. And I REALLY want to believe their stories of their having a "buyer" waiting for my unit, that they are experienced in sales, that they CAN sell my TS. I am often tempted to list my unit with them. But eventually I realize it is useless. I try to offer them my "valuable" timeshare for free, but they NEVER EVER accept it. If they thought it had value, they could have it, free. But they won't take it, ever. I've tried this maybe 25 times, and never had a taker. I've offered my TS FREE in several ads, papers, etc. No takers. I am now being dunned by my TS because I've stopped paying maintenance fees, and refuse to pay for "upgrades" that they made to a unit that didn't need upgrades. I don't know how this will end up, but I refuse to ever spend another cent on this or any timeshare-associated gimmick. I told them to take it out of my estate after I die. And I'm sure they will.[/Q] I am genuinely sorry for your situation, which apparently (and unfortunately) began with an overpriced "developer-direct" purchase. Orlando is so grossly overbuilt with timeshares that the supply FAR exceeds the demand and the "value" of virtually ANY timeshare ownership there is frankly very low, even in the best of economies or circumstances. If you owe unpaid special assessments and maintenance fees, as you evidently do, then clearly you CAN'T even give it away, since your debt must be resolved in order to even transfer ownership title --- unless you find someone willing to take over your debt (there is little or no chance of that, as you've surely already discovered). There is good (relatively speaking, of course) news, however. Assuming that you DON'T also have an unpaid loan on this ownership, what will ultimately happen is likely a straightforward foreclosure. The resort will simply take back the ownership through the legal process and it will no longer be yours at all (nor will any money you ever paid to purchase it in the first place). If their ARE unpaid loans, however, that will NOT be the case. There are no "estate" issues to worry about if there is no unpaid loan, since they will likely foreclose on you long before that. However, they WILL certainly ding your credit report if they have to foreclose. Depending on your age and the likelihood of your seeking other loans anytime in the future for home mortgage, car loan, etc., this development may or may not be of significant concern to you. It's not accurate to say that no one can sell a timeshare on their own. Every situation is different. Every timeshare I have ever owned was purchased at low cost in the resale market ---and I sold off SIX of them in the past 2 years or so, ALL of them entirely on my own. Certainly no profit, but no big losses either. However, trying to "unload" a high priced "developer direct" purchase, particularly one with associated loans or unpaid back fees, is another kettle of fish entirely. The moral of the story for others here is to NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy "developer direct". I sincerely wish you the best of luck. Merry Christmas and a healthy, happy New Year to all.