Report Abuse

Re: Diamond Resorts reduces owner benefits again!

Don't believe DRI. If they merely want you to join Club then their statement is a complete misrepresentation. The fact that the unit drops out of Club when sold ensures their statement is not accurate. If they want you to convert your deeded week into the HI Collections, maybe in 15 years after they buy up the cheap resale units to sell as Collections, find ways to force owners to sell to them at below market discounts (on the premise the owner violated Club rules for example), and convince a minority of deeded owners to convert into Collections - maybe deeded owners will be in the minority. I am a weeks and points and Club owner/member. There are a lot of great reasons to be a points and / or Club member, but I'm no longer a fan. My experience has taught me a few things about the DRI system: - If you own one of the collections contracts your cost of ownership is usually more than an equivalent deeded owner. this wasn't true 3+ years ago. - While a very attractive feature of the Collections contracts, or participating in Club, is the discount provided for available reservations less than 60 days in advance (usually the discount is 50% but it ranges between 0-90%), on a regular basis there is better availability to weeks owners. Why do weeks owners / non Club members have better availability? - Legacy owners don't want to pay to convert to points or join Club. I used to say this was their loss, but not any longer. - DRI has made it increasingly more expensive to convert a resale unit back into Club. - Club membership is lost when a DRI owner sells their Club participating contract. This is why DRI Club inventory will always have difficulty providing the best availability. Because DRI wants to make money on owners as much as possible rather than ensuring the owner experience is the best (and thus most desirable), too many resale units do not re-enter Club. Thus DRI has a never ending challenge to talk people into joining Club and or converting into a Collections contract. I figure they don't mind doing this because they make more money and as long as owners and prospective owners don't realize how the agreements are so much more favorable for DRI than the owners, DRI will continure to profit at our expense.