Report Abuse

The devil is always in the DETAILS...

[Q=georgei30] A cost of transfering the title out of our names would be recouped in a few years. That may be a reasonable return on investment. That is, if the title is transferred so we have no further costs.[/Q] Perhaps. The ticklish yet critically important detail remains absolutely ensuring that the transfer is actually COMPLETED by the official recording of a new, valid deed in the name of a new owner. Until and unless that specific step occurs, YOU remain the legal owner. This is precisely why signing a mere "Power of Attorney" is a dangerous and very expensive risk, on which there might very well be absolutely no future "return" (and much worse, no actual transfer of ownership). While it's certainly true that many timeshares currently have no market value, I still think it makes more sense to try to GIVE it away (TUG has a "Bargain Basement" section, for example). Even if you have to give it away for free and pay all of the closing costs yourself, paying out $300 still makes a lot more numerical sense to me than paying out $3,000+. But, to each his / her own, I guess...