Report Abuse

Rental advice

[Q=scottp252] I just don't want to give away,what I worked hard to pay for. Tell me this,is it going to be that hard to find a legitimate company to help rent my week or even sell it at this point?[/Q] My observation about Mexican timeshares was merely stating my own position and personal opinion thereon. No more, no less. Selling a Mexican timeshare in the current (tanked) timeshare resale market will be very difficult. It's a tough economic climate, travel is expensive and unfavorable publicity about the ongoing drug cartel wars in Mexico all work against your success. It is entirely possible that you could not even give it away for FREE, sad as that may be. As far as renting, in my opinion and experience you basically only have two choices which minimize your risk of failure or fraud: 1. Let the resort rent for you and accept the fact that that their commisssion will be 35% (which it would be at most USA resorts too, by the way, for "house-handled" rentals on behalf of owners). 2. Undertake the time and effort required to advertise and rent out the week yourself, if you feel strongly about not paying the resort commission. Time is money too, however. You'll have to prepare and post ads (I recommend RedWeek, MyResortNetwork, Bidshares --- and I do NOT recommend eBay or Craigslist). You'll then have to field all the incoming inquiries and weed out the "tire kickers", unrealistic bargain hunters and would-be scammers in order to (hopefully) ultimately find find a legitimate renter. You'll then have to (...or at least should) execute a formal rental agreement and you'll have to work out a mutually satisfactory payment method and timetable. There is no cheap OR easy route for renting, nor any "magic bullet". Third party "rental agencies" are a VERY big risk AND in the end offer very little (...more likely none at all) cost savings to you compared to a resort-handled rental, minus commission. Many third party entities are nothing but outright scams, with ZERO chance of success. The options are clear. It's your choice, your decision. Good luck.