Report Abuse

RCI weeks member with points questions

[Q=keithf80] I own a timeshare in Kaanapali, and am currently an RCI weeks member. I have been relatively happy exchanging my week and vacation with my family. As a matter of fact I am at Hilton Head as I am typing this. My wife and I went to the same old "come here for two hours, hear what we have to say, and get free stuff" speech. And now I am concerned that the diminishing availability of resorts as an RCI weeks member is going to eventually force me to go to RCI points, or some other points-based system. Is this the reality, or just something fabricated to sell me another time share to get me into the RCI points system? And, if it is inevitable that I will eventually have to convert from weeks membership to points, what is the most in-expensive way to do this? Do I have to purchase another time share to be able to use my current ownership in a points-based system?[/Q] If you and your wife are happy, then there's no need to "upgrade". These resorts tell all sorts of lies and half-truths to get you to shell out more dough. If you fall for this one, next year you'll go there and they'll give you another sales spiel telling you that the program that you just upgraded to is going the way of the Dodo Bird and you need to shell out thousands more to this "new and improved" system. It will be an ongoing thing year after year. If you really feel the urge to have an RCI Points resort, you can pick one up on E-bay for next-to-nothing. Also, if you feel that your RCI Weeks is going to be valueless in the trading pool, maybe investigate using some of the smaller, independent exchange companies like Dial-an-Exchange, Platinum Interchange, Trading Places International, etc. Disclaimer: I'm not saying definitely use these exchange companies, I'm just saying investigate.