Report Abuse

Re: Getting rid of your timeshare

To DRK14 I fully understand the IRS requirements relating to FMV and I never suggested an EBay sale met the test for a comparable sale. Early in my career I served as an IRS Tax Attorney and was involved in several U.S. Tax Court cases dealing with the FMV of real estate listed in Forms 709 and 706. My concern with your firm is that you, in my opinion, mislead timeshare owners into claiming a charitable deduction for worthless Timeshares. I suggest your motives are monetary and mine are to alert the public to scams. Enough about FMV. Will you answer the following questions? 1. Who holds title to the timeshare during the 36 month holding period or until the property is sold. Your firm or the donor? 2. Who pays the maintenance fees during the period between the donation and the sale? 3. Has any of the donated property gone into foreclosure? Is your firm listed with Dub and Bradstreet and if so what is your credit rating. Please answer these questions and forgo another extensive commentary on the meaning of FMV that is not helpful to anyone.