Report Abuse

May Newsletter Q&A: Second Market Timeshare Owners 'Caught' By RCI

[Q=tsauthor] Steve: You make some good points, but timeshare has NEVER been an investment. It will take a majority of owners to educate themselves and read all the documents until something can be done about the developer or the exchange company having all the power. The sad truth is that most owners do not know about the power that they DON'T have until it is too late. Education and getting the word out are key.[/Q] Anyone who would buy something for $20,000 or maybe $70,000 and not consider it an investment deserves to lose their money. Of course it's an investment, if it actually had no value no one would buy it. If you resold and for your maintenance you got no maintenance, for example, what would that be worth? Nothing. But some people think it makes sense to try to take other people's value away by policies that should rightfully be illegal. Crooks. There ought to be a law. Perhaps the problem *is* the developer. Maybe there should be laws stating that timeshares can't be *air*. If you are selling timeshare in California it has to have real property attached to it or it cannot be sold. Maybe that's part of the solution? I have been to timeshare presentations. I listen, take my spiff, and I ask them to show me why this makes sense for me to buy. They haven't been able to do that yet. Almost invariably you can rent the same unit for the cost of the annual maintenance while buying nothing. It just makes no sense. If I sound familiar, Lisa, it's because I have said essentially the same thing on your blog.