Report Abuse

Timeshare Cure

[Q=beckyk58] I heard that I can donate my timeshare. who can I donate it to and how do I do it.[/Q] There are a couple of charities that take "donations" such as Donate For A Cause or Florida Veterans Assistance. Keep in mind though that they charge you around $2500 to take over ownership. And even at that, they will only accept "donations" that they feel they can quickly turn around and sell or give away. A cheaper alternative is to try to give it away yourself. Advertise it here in RedWeek's Bargain Basement. Also, Timeshare Users Group (aka TUG; tugbbs.com) has a Bargain Deals section where, for free, you can advertise that you want to give your timeshare away. Other things to watch out for when dealing with charities that accept "donations" of timeshares are preferably not to deal with ones that will deliberately default on maintenance fee payments so that the unit goes into foreclosure. Also, don't be taken in by the possibility of a large tax deduction by donating to a charity because it's an arduos, complicated, risky process.