Report Abuse

Re: Grupo Mayan

Yes, after 5 months of fighting we got our money back through MasterCard. You just have to be persistent and not to give in on Grupo Mayan's offer to "settle" by signing an affidavit, or you'll be scammed for a second time ! A lot of useful information here : mescam.com. Here is my post on scam.com from last year : After about 5 months back-and-forth with the credit card company we got full credit ($3000) for the mistake we've made with Grand Paradise Club. I felt so stupid for believing even a tiny portion of their lies ! We supplied credit card with all the facts proving that Grand Paradise Club/Grupo Mayan is basically a fraudulent operation, including excerpts from this site. Their salespeople are exploiting the fact that Western business culture is based on trust. If you are not trustworthy, you don't stay in business for long. Well, apparently not so in Mexico, where they rely on constant influx of first-timers lured in their spiderweb by free "gifts" offered at the airport. The gifts, by the way, are not even worth the 6+ ours of vacation time a typical victim would waste on a supposedly "90 minute non-timeshare related presentation". That's why the first question they ask travel-fatigued people at the airport is - "Is it your first time in Mexico ?". First timers are their primary target. Half way through the process, GM found me and offered to "settle" provided I removed my posts from TripAdvisor, scam.com, redweek.com, mescam.com and other sites. I saw some people retracting their posts, but how could I be sure that I won't be scammed again ?! Just search for "Vera Christopher" on this forum - this lady from the UK has fought for 3 years with no result ! Grupo Mayan demanded that I execute all paperwork and remove my posts UPFRONT. So they ask to be trusted with MY MONEY having lied to me and thousands of other victims before but they's won't trust ME with anything ?! That's what defines crooks ! The "settlement" required that I sign a bunch of legal mambo-jumbo surrounding all the rights to ever make details of the settlement public. I ran it by my lawyer and he stated that this so called contract is basically non-enforceable piece of s**t as a person can always hide under a different nick which is not traceable back to the individual. All it is designed for is to scare stuff out of honest law-abiding citizens. Nonetheless, there was always a chance that my signed settlement could be used in credit card dispute as a proof of my dropped claims, so I decided to press with the credit card first. I am glad I did. I guess other posters where less lucky in their credit card dispute process and had to succumb to Grupo Mayan demands. My gut feeling was that they won't part with the money easily, always trying to sell you something else, just as they do after an unsuccessful timeshare pitch at so called "exit interview". That's where we were belittled by Helena Danielson for not having "faith in humanity". I do have Faith in Humanity, Helena, but YOU are NOT part of the humanity as I define it ! After we wasted whole day away from our 6 day vacation, my 2 small kids were sweaty from the heat and dehydrated, but they would not even allow kids to use swimming pool ! Imagine if you are treated like that BEFORE they grab your money what would it be AFTER you sign on the dotted line ! GM has a whole investigatory department stuffed with English speaking American and Canadian ex-pats who traded their integrity for a perpetual vacation mode lifestyle in Mexico. Their job is to cut losses and sweet talk internet posters into removing or retracting their posts. Their typical line is "Everyone has complains. Apple has complains. Honda has complains". Sure. As if dropping a name or two of great companies next to a scam operation would somehow cleanse them from their wrongdoing. Search Scam.com for Honda or Apple or Best Buy. I am sure the'll appreciate it if you let them know of any hits !