Report Abuse

Polling current Marriott's Kauai Beach Club owners

I do not own at this property but do own 2 bd units at two other Marriott vacation club resorts (Myrtle Beach - OF, gold and Manor Club - platinum). I've been a member since 1999 and also enrolled in the Destination Points (DP) program last year. My undstanding is that your weeks, based on view and season that you own is worth x many number of points based on a chart. So any owner at Kauai who owns the same size unit, view and season will have the same value as you. Obviously, the better the view, the larger the size, the higher season will be worth more points. But it is a known fact and restated by Marriott reps that the number of points you get for your week is (much) less than if you were to use points to rent that same week thru the points system. As week owners, we give up a lot more if we choose to exchange our week to points. I'm trying to exchange one of my weeks into a Marriott property in Hawaii and the rep suggested that I do an exchange through Interval (particularly because I'm also a DP member and the transaction is included in my II membership). I think the only advantage of exchanging to points is if you don't need to stay a full week and if you want to change the unit size and view of what you would normally get (I.e., upgrading view and downsizing unit size, different season, etc). I'm also finding that since I have young kids, the best way to get my money's worth is to vacation at my home resorts (which luckily is driving distance away). However, next year, we want to go big and travel to Hawaii but unfortunately, the DP system doesn't work for me because our two weeks worth of DP points isn't even enough for one week in Hawaii for comparable unit size and view. Overall, as a multi-week owner, I plan to continue to use my weeks as I did before the DP program rolled out. The DP option will be there for me but I doubt I will use it in the near future.