Report Abuse

Buying Marriott Destinations points

If you buy points from anyone other than Marriott, there are limitations on them in making reservations. I THINK you have a 60 day reservation period. Check this to be sure but that is the big down side if you don't pay the additional fees by Marriott after buying resale. Marriott charges new owners of resale points $300 per 250 points with a $2000 minimum, plus a $300 education fee. If you pay these fees, you will not have any limitations in the Marriott Vacation Program. Many Marriott owners believe that buying a resale WEEK instead of POINTS is less expensive and a better deal. However, to get a good week is becoming more difficult as Marriott is using its Right of First Refusal (ROFR) on high demand weeks and putting them in the points program. I enrolled my week into the points program and love its flexibility. However, I would not bought into the points program buying direct from the developer because the points are very expensive. For someone to have access to a week in points in Hawaii and needed a 2 bedroom would need to have a minimum of 4000 points. Well it costs about $11 per point. That's $44,000! Way too much money in my opinion and that's not including maintenance fees. My suggestion would be that since you are already enrolled in the program to rent points when you need additional ones. This way you cut down on additional maintenance fees every year. That is what I suggest. Marriott allows this to be down between owners. It is a very simple process. There is a website that Marriott owners have set up that is working well and owners are very happy about it. If you would like to know about it you can look on TUG or PM me and I will provide you with the information. [Q=amyh206] We are currently legacy owners enrolled in the program and are looking to add 1500 points to our ownership to give us access to the trust inventory. Does anyone have experience doing this? What are the pros/cons? Also, should we look to buy from an individual or should we stick with a resale company?[/Q]