Report Abuse

Re: Buying Marriott Destinations points

I am an owner who enrolled my week at the Maui Marriott Ocean Club into the points program. I like the flexibility in years when I'd rather do something different than going to my home resort. I went to the presentation on buying additional points and did the math and buying points is a much worse value than owning a week and converting to points. The maintenance fees are multiple times higher than it is converting to points from weeks. When I explained this to the person who was giving the sales presentation, he just said "You can't look at it that way" but there is no other way to look at it. They will emphasize that as a points owner you have access to the unsold inventory, but the most popular resorts sell out and the unsold inventory at the one you want will be ever diminishing. We've had no problem finding inventory through the weeks conversion process and we've stayed at four other resorts, never been denied due to lack of inventory. I would only buy resale weeks and convert them to points if you want points.