Report Abuse

Buying Timeshare?

One thing that hasn't been mentioned but has become important in recent years is to researdh the financial condition of the timeshare. MANY timeshares are struggling since the recent economic downturn. Owners are abanding their units and or failing to pay their maintenance fees. Some locations are selling for next to nothing--I recently purchased a 2-bedroom beachfront condo timeshare for $67 and no closing fees. They want paying owners. Have used the unit with great pleasure for three years. Also, i am not thrilled with exchanges. I mostly use my 6 weeks or rent them. First, you spend hundred to belong to the exchange company (althought some are now available for less or even free). Then you spend $14o to $180 fors the exchange. There are thousands of complaints on line from owners unhappy that they cannot get the exchange they want--if they can get one at all. For close to the total of exchanging plus your maintenance fees you can rent easier and with greater flexibility (visit several cities rather than be tied up for a whole week). Finally I got some great advice 25 years ago when I was buying my first timeshare--ONLY BUY A PROPERTY YOU EXPECT TO USE NEARLY EVERY YEAR. I, or my kids or friends, use all of my weeks every year. I have not traded for nearly 20 years. I have rented one out when illness prevented using, but after 25 years we sill look forward to our week in New Orleans every year. My advice is if you find a reasonbly priced timeshare that you really would want to use most years, go for it. Otherwise economically and enjoyment-wise You probably you should use a competant travel agent to arrange your vacations.