Report Abuse

Re: FINISTERRA CLUB

The new company for construction boasts #2 in Latin America for development in Latin America with successes in Cancun and others. They may have originated in Spain but are also a subsidiary of Diamond Resorts in Las Vegas. I have 2 weeks in the Palapa section I am very pleased with but do concede the care of the resort has been on idle quite a while. The mattresses changed once since 1996 and the furniture getting a bit worn since then. The ice makers were swapped out. But the addition of the 2nd palapa and 3rd pool for the owning families daughters wedding was the last activity seen before Sandos closed the old driveway and old hilltop sections for major remodeling. The business office is gone and a new Restaurant was supposed to be completed there by now, I listened to their presentation but the increased costs for repurchasing 2 weeks of time there would have been between $40k - $45k. They convert to a point system with no provisions for keeping the same weeks of holiday time weeks 51 -52 or assurances for getting the same room I purchased my time in. The benefit is no maintenance fees, better gym and free restaurants and the rooms upgraded. All inclusive will be good food and service, they were still evaluating if the lowest pool would be heated or remain natural temperature. So for what I paid less than $30K in 1996 would cost me over $40k to repurchase now. I opted to stay with the existing contract which they say they will honor other than increases for things not covered in my original contract like meals. Massages in the planned Spa. I will need to find out how they handle the upgraded gym area. [Q=fayes25] Maintenance fees were not raised for 2013. .nor is all inclusive mandatory at this point in time. .but there are many changes happening. .possibly look at forum at trip advisor. . [Q=kbb3] The Finisterra has been sold to Santos, a company from Spain. They are in the process of making it an all inclusive resort. They have started remodeliing the old section and plan to make changes to the new section. I have been an owner since 1997 and they have not updated anything since 1999. The last few years they have not even maintained the premises. Good thing it was sold, but I am NOT a fan of all-inclusive, especially with all the local restaurants within waking distance. They will likely start raising maintenance fees by 6% each year per contract for original owners, I am not sure about new members fees. KB[/Q][/Q]