Report Abuse

Re: Diamond Resorts International (DRI) "THE CLUB" Points Program & Converting your Week to Points

[Q=larrys387] I've read most of the posts here and I'm still not sure of the benefits and drawbacks of having my points in the Hawaii Trust. At this time I have 11500 deeded points and 8000 in the trust. Diamond has offered to combine our points along with our parents points that are in the trust so we will reach Gold level and save the $ we spend on two club memberships by only having one. Just not sure if I'm missing something and will regret this move if I make it. We have owned since 2005 and have never had a problem booking our home resort of KBC every summer, so other than the ever increasing MF's we are happy owners. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks[/Q] There are savings that you would have if you combined your parents' and your points. First, you are both paying a Hawaiian Collection fee and a Club fee. The Club fee was $299 for 2013. You both are also paying a Hawaii Collection fee. which was at least $205 if not more. If you combined the points you would only have to pay for those fees once and not twice for each of you. That's a savings of about $500. In addition, you will be at the Gold level which allows you some additional benefits like 5 upgrades for $49, extended redemption deadlines for cruises, airlines, etc. and other discounts within the Club. Maybe some of these other benefits may not be useful to you, but the $500 per year or really $250 savings should get your interest. As long as it is not going to cost you anything to do it, I would take advantage of it. Remember, if you do combine the points, all of the maintenance fees will fall on you when your parents pass. You will have to ask yourself if you can or want to afford the maintenance fees for all 30,000 points. Right now, you will be responsible for just the points you own and if your parents pass you don't have to accept their points. Give this close consideration. I hope this helps.