Report Abuse

Re: Dumping your Timeshare

John B, One reason why some people are doubting you story is because, in your first post describing what your attorney did for you, I believe you said she "canceled" your ownership. I realize it seems like splitting hairs here but you cannot "cancel" ownership of real estate. If you had said that this attorney negotiated with TMC to take back ownership from you, then you might not have met with so much skepticism. The other thing that's raising red flags here is how you're saying that, without your attorney's help, you would have been stuck with ownership at TMC and there was absolutely no other way out. As many others have said on these boards, there are ways that they have gotten out of ownership at various resorts by doing a little bit of work. They either asked (quite persistently) the resort's HOA to take ownership back or have made the effort to advertise and sell (or give away) their unit. Also, many warnings go out to owners to never, ever pay a large, upfront fee to anyone to sell or "cancel" a timeshare. Did this attorney charge an upfront fee? If so, then what guarantee was there that she would do what she said she would? What would've happened had TMC said "No" to your attorney? And how is TMC a "fraudulent" timeshare? If it were fraudulent, I'm sure it would've been sued and shut down many years ago. I know many owners there are frustrated and unhappy and that many who bought there probably did so based on lies told by the sales person, but that does not necessarily make TMC a "fraudulent" timeshare. The last thing I was wondering is what did your attorney do or say to the powers-that-be at TMC to convince them to take back ownership that you could not have done or said yourself (or is this a secret that your attorney won't reveal)?