Report Abuse

Re: Dumping your Timeshare

Lance -- I admit the term "cancel" was incorrect. It was deeded back to The Manhattan Club. Regarding the issue of getting out of the timeshare, The Manhattan Club is extremely difficult to deal with. I spoke with them and they only said they would put me on a "waiting list" of people who wanted to deed back. I called them several times and was told I was on a "waiting list." Meanwhile, another huge maintenance fee was coming due and I wanted out. I did not pay my attorney an upfront fee. Of course, I have used this same attorney for many matters and there is a track record of prompt payment from me. When attorneys charge upfront fees, it usually is in a new relationship with a new client. And if the client is in another jurisdiction, it is always wise to obtain an upfront fee. I am a business owner myself and I require partial payment upfront with NEW clients. Once a relationship is established, that may not be necessary. Attorneys are business people after all, and they have to protect themselves too. These matters can require a lot of time. How is TMC fraudulent? They never have time available for the owners. You can try to reserve a date a year or more in advance and find no time is available. One of the problems is that they are simultaneously renting out the suites as hotel suites on the open market, thereby limiting availability. There is a class action lawsuit being developed against TMC. I cannot tell you exactly how my attorney got my timeshare deed back. I really don't care. I was just pleased it was accomplished. I hope this answers your questions. John B