Report Abuse

Re: Vida Vacations & Grand Mayan lies

Hello All, So my grand adventure at Grand Mayan was very...okay not so much fun. We got hooked on 5th Ave with promises of cheap tickets. Off we go 3 kids in tow to do this big adventure, you know free breakfast, quick info session, then off to adventure. Well quick breakfast took 2 hours, then an hour tour, then another 4 hours in the fun room with everyone running numbers at you and very unhappy kids. Long story short we bought what they were selling, to good to be true and it was. We signed up and asked to eat onsite as it was now 6 hours from when we last ate and kids were starving, so family of 5 ate and was a 1000 pesos, and no steak and lobster just regular lunch. Now I will point out that we did get the cheap tickets as promised. We then proceeded back to town and had to pay for the cab back, 150 peso they told us and was 500. Anyways once back where we were staying I did some internet followup on the sites that the people in the resort claimed advertised and sold our time share for us. I would explain all the numbers they throw at us but honestly I was overloaded and do not remember. The start with oh you can rent it out for this etc etc. Well the golf is not included, the food is not included and where we bought turns out to be a 10 minute walk from where you eat, oh ya and you are only allowed to eat in certain restaurants even though you are paying? Anyways I did website traffic polls on the sites that were claimed to be renting the sites. One site did not exist, one had like 30 people in 3 months and the other had 3 in 6 months. So not exactly stellar numbers. We then turned to the internet and discovered as many others have the yikes we stepped in it. Then we tried to figure out how to cancel the contract. We were given the contract in two pieces, the one we were told expired in 10 years and the other was the actual time share agreement. Well it turns out in Mexico that anything with the contract number was the actual agreement. So the temporary 10 year agreement, hand written on, was part of the actual agreement and contained the cancellation clause. So we wrote a letter, downloaded template from website, stating our desire to cancel the membership. There was two options one to send letter and one to return all documentation to the resort. I was not really in a trusting mood at the resort and their integrity. So we drafted a letter, scanned the document, and then dealt with Mexipost to send a certified letter to the address, exactly as presented, on the cancellation clause. I then called the membership help number to inform them that we had mailed the certified letter, Mexipost works very well. I also emailed the letter, which I now know is all that is required by Mexican law. They took my information and told me a resort representative would help me. Next day got a call from resort asking me to come and they would refund my money immediately or make me an even better offer than before. If I wanted the refund all I had to do was sign a form. I said email me the form and I will review it and see. Lady said manager would not let her email or fax the letter. Even she found that curious. I emailed her back that I had sent the cancellation letter both by certified letter and email and was dated X and by law they had 15 days to refund my money in full. They then send me a document stating that we needed to sign it in order to be refunded. The letter basically said that I could not bad mouth them on sites like this and if I already complained on sites like this I had to post that I was fully happy with the outcome, or some such wording, which is why there are those odd posts out there. I asked the very nice young lady, she was very pleasant and helpful, to show me where in the contract it stated I had to sign this document. We did not sign this document. Two days later we got a full refund. So in short act within the 5 days, outside of that it is binding by Mexican Law. Treat everything they gave you as the contract, they lied about basically everything so the contract all being one piece should not surprise you. Within the contract is a clause that states to cancel you must either sent certified mail to X or return everything to the resort. Do not go the resort. By Mexican law sending them and email works as well but we did both as....better safe then broke. Do not sign the "do not bad mouth us contract" as it is not required to get your refund. I think that is it. If you need anything please let me know as we have the contract still and can walk you through it if it has not changed. [Q=donp196] Also make sure you follow the recission instructions to the letter. Make copies of everything and send it receipt return and post marked with the date within the recisssion period. Do this IMMEDIATELY so you make the dead line.[/Q]