Report Abuse

Re: How do timeshares work?

If you buy resale, go to your home resort annually, OR join an exchange club like RCI, learn the exchange system thoroughly, and vacation at exchange sites, in other words USE your investment, timesharing is awesome. We have deeded weeks that are over 25 years old and have stayed all over the country thru RCI in addition to our home HIlton Head weeks. Maintenance fees are expected, manageable, and still no more than a week of renting the units. RCI has all kinds of ways to book trips and when you get really good, you can find ways to beat their system and book for practically weeks for practically nothing. It's like being a travel agent; if you enjoy that kind of stuff, there's no limit to trips you can find and take. If you buy from a developer, never go to your home unit or don't completely learn the exchange program, it's a waste of money. Timesharing basically forces you to take your vacations, at least if you want to get your money's worth. Personally, I get the creeps thinking about renting. AND, my deeded timeshares will pass to my children upon my death. I