Report Abuse

Re: bait and switch

Hi Lynn, JUST WANTED TO MENTION THE SPECIAL ASSESSMENT MAY BE A SUGGESTION NOT MANDATORY- WE OWN AT THE ENCANTADA AND MARINA FIESTA AND RECEIVED A LETTER THAT LOOKED LIKE A BILL, CALLED TO INQUIRE AND TOLD IT WAS A REQUEST NOT MANDATORY. I am curious you said you are being charged differently, you may be right, although is difficult to compare unless the exact same program. There there is a 2 or 3 day right to cancel policy on your contract. But before you beat yourself up,be sure you are comparing apples to apples. All they all fixed or floating weeks? How much was each initial timeshare- how many weeks per year, etc. My sis and I both own 30 year timeshares in Cabo-she paid about twice as much as me for her initial timeshare, and pays $465 annual maintainece fee for 2 floating weeks but pays NOTHING when she takes her week. I paid less up front, pay only$159 annual maintainece fee for 2 floating weeks vrs her $465 (we both can accelerate ) but pay $750 for my week whenever I come(or $695 at Marina Fiesta the sister property as we can stay at either) Both of us can upgrade to a one or 2 bedroom for a fee. She likes hers as knows she is coming for 2 weeks every years so gets 2 weeks for her $465 maintainece fee.I like mine because I come prime time (school and college breaks with kids) and the resort which I am sitting at now is usually booked for non-owners and even if you can find a night it is over $350 a night even on a cheap hotel website. And I don't come every year so I am not socked with a high annual maintainence fee like hers- i.e. she pays hers regardless of whether she comes or not. If I don't come one year I only loose $159. Different prices but works for each of us. If you are flexible then you don't even need a timeshare as you can see on this site you can book someones room for as little as $75 night- but most have fixed weeks. You also have 90 days to dispute a charge with your credit card company for failure to deliver goods and services. If you have documentation that promises otherwise than you can try to dispute but is sounds like you are upset about the charges as they compare to others, not the charges you agreed to. If everything you signed off in the contract is being honored by them and you are only upset about the charges as compared to others, then you can sit down with them next time you are in Cabo and talk to the timeshare Manager NOT the salespeople. This however is a real long-shot as you know by now after buying 2-3 timeshares. VISA did tell me when I had an issue that once you go to the place you pretty much accept the terms and conditions so perhaps visit them when you are at the Pueblo Bonita. Document EVERYTHING, and send copies to the credit card company, the resort timeshare manager, and PROFECO (equivalent of US better business bureau) Can you explain what "giving it back to them" means? They already have your money right? Do you mean just not pay maintainece therefore foreclose? [Q=lynn485] I purchased a unit here that can only be used once every 3 years and just found out I am being charged double the maint fee and special assessment as the every year owners. That makes no sense at all and I am giving it back to them. If they want to foreclose, so be it. Note the Pueblo Bonito resorts, of which I own at 2 in Cabo, did not charge a special assessment at all for damage from the Hurricane.[/Q]